'Underwear' world record attempt in San Francisco to highlight fashion industry’s climate pollution

Stand.earth to attempt world record for largest gathering of people in their underwear during “Pants Off for the Planet” event on August 5 at Golden Gate Park.

Pants off for the Planet Poster

SAN FRANCISCO — Local environmental organization Stand.earth will attempt to break a Guinness World Record for the “largest gathering of people in their underwear” on Sunday, August 5, at Golden Gate Park in San Francisco, during National Underwear Day.

The event, dubbed “Pants Off for the Planet,” aims to draw attention to the fashion industry’s climate pollution impacts. If the fashion industry were a nation, it would be the 4th largest climate polluter on Earth — just behind China, the United States, and India. 

“Most of the fashion industry’s pollution is located in its supply chain — overseas factories powered largely by coal and other fossil fuels. Given the fact that the fashion industry is expected to grow by 49% by 2030, it’s time for this polluting industry to stop turning a blind eye to its devastating impacts on local air quality and global climate change.” —Kristina Flores, Climate Campaigner, Stand.earth

Stand.earth is the organizer behind the popular “Too Dirty to Wear” campaign calling on Levi’s to be a fashion industry leader and transition the factories in its supply chain to renewable energy. The group has held several “pants off, dance off” protests at Levi’s stores in San Francisco and New York City over the past few months. See photos at bit.ly/dirty-levis.

In April, Stand.earth released its “Too Deadly to Wear” report, detailing the fashion industry’s and Levi’s outsized role in the deadly impacts of climate change and air pollution across the globe. Read the report at https://fashion.stand.earth.

“We love Levi’s, but it’s time for the company to become a climate leader, not a climate laggard. More than 90% of Levi’s climate pollution is hiding in its supply chain. CEO Chip Bergh has shown he cares about the climate, but if Levi’s truly wants to be an industry leader, it must pledge to switch to renewable energy in its entire supply chain — not just its stores and headquarters.” —Kristina Flores, Climate Campaigner, Stand.earth

Levi’s current climate initiatives include its Collaboratory, a program for entrepreneurs to work on innovative and tangible solutions to reduce the fashion industry’s climate impact. Levi’s has pledged to reduce its emissions by 25% and use 20% renewable energy by 2020 — but those goals are for its direct operations only. Levi’s direct operations account for a mere 1% of its total climate pollution, with the remaining 99% of its climate pollution unaccounted for in its supply chain.

How to participate in “Pants Off for the Planet”

To participate in “Pants Off for the Planet,” participants are encouraged to sign up for a ticket at bit.ly/pantsoffplanet so organizers can more easily verify attendance and finalize the official count. RSVP for "Pants off for the Planet — Break a World Record" on Facebook at facebook.com/events/184400699067470.

Participants should meet at 12:30 p.m. at Golden Gate Park (exact location TBD). From there, organizers will get participants in place for the world record attempt at 2 p.m. The previous record is 2,270 people; organizers hope to draw 3,000 to this event.

This is a body-positive event open to all ages, gender identities, and gender expressions. To qualify for the world record attempt, participants must be in underpants (also known as knickers) and a bra if desired for five minutes. Black or white tank tops from the men’s underwear section are acceptable. 

Organizations interested in participating in or promoting the event and businesses interested in sponsoring the event can contact Stand.earth Climate Campaigner Kristina Flores at 916-548-6519 or kristina@stand.earth.

###

Media contacts: 

Virginia Cleaveland, Press Secretary, virginia@stand.earth, 510-858-9902
Kristina Flores, Climate Campaigner, kristina@stand.earth, 916-548-6519